A great Integrative Nurse Coach® enhances their clients’, patients’, and community’s strengths. It’s in your nature to elevate others and help people feel their best!
It’s usually easy for us to rattle off a list of flaws, imperfections, and failings, and perhaps not so easy to disclose positives, celebrations, and attributes.
This is why it’s so important as an Integrative Nurse Coach® to come from a strengths-based perspective, because almost everyone functions better when they focus on the good!
Focusing on what is going well, instead of fixing what’s going wrong is a simple way to enhance personal progress and build trusting relationships which reinforces interconnected successes over time.
I love this quote from poet Mark Nepo:
“We are stronger, gentler, more resilient, and more beautiful than any of us imagine.”
And sometimes we need a loving conversation with an awesome Integrative Nurse Coach® to remind us!
30 Strengths-Based Coaching Questions
Here are 30 strengths-based coaching questions to help you support your clients’ full potential.
See what resonates with you when you read each one, and envision how they’ll support your next coaching conversation!
- Tell me three of your strengths right off the top of your head.
- Tell me about how you use one of those strengths in your day?
- What do you enjoy doing? (we usually enjoy what we’re good at)
- What do you like about yourself?
- What’s the last compliment you received? Why do you think they said that?
- What are you proud of in your life?
- When have you felt most energized? What were you doing?
- What positive attributes would your best friend say about you?
- What small things do you enjoy the most?
- What tasks are always left on your to-do list?
- What have you created or brought into the world? Tell me why you devoted your time to that.
- What would your colleagues say are your strong points at work?
- What do you admire most about yourself?
- What situations make you feel alive and excited?
- Tell me about a success you’re proud of.
- What do you admire most in others? Where are you already doing that in your life?
- Tell me about a time you volunteered your skills.
- What nice things would a friend say about you when describing you to another person?
- Tell me about a challenge you’ve overcome.
- What kinds of situations bring out your best?
- What specific traits brought you to where you are today in your career?
- Imagine yourself as a super-hero, what is your superpower?
- What do your friends say they like best about you?
- What things come easily to you?
- What brings you joy?
- What are you passionate about? Why?
- Tell me about a time when you felt confident and accomplished. What traits did you use in that situation?
- Close your eyes and envision yourself celebrating your success. What are you doing?
- How would a loved one describe your legacy?
- When you explained that, I noticed you sat up straight & began talking faster, tell me more about this reaction.
What other strengths-based questions do you use? Why have you found them to be effective?
Leave a comment sharing your ideas, I know your comment will spark even more ideas to support people’s health and wellbeing.
You are doing important work. Keep going!
Need more thought provoking questions to support your Integrative Nurse Coaching sessions?
- 30 Powerful Questions a Nurse Coach Can Ask to Spark Change
- Want to learn more about Nurse Coaching? What is a Nurse Coach?
- Struggling with Imposter Syndrome in your new role? Transitioning Out of Imposter Syndrome
- Download the 30 Strengths-Based Coaching Questions as a PDF
After two decades as an Intensive Care Nurse caring for the sickest of patients, Nicole left the one-size fits all healthcare industry, and created Blue Monarch Health, where she is; Active Aging Specialist, Health Protection Expert and Head Motivator! Instead of waiting for you to get sick, she meets you where you live, work and play, to enhance your health and vitality.
Nicole listens deeply, and takes you by the hand to co-create a health and vitality plan with you, so you can really do it in your life. She is an authentic, heart-centered stick of dynamite, who focuses your energies, builds up your strengths, and leverages your unique gifts!
Nicole Vienneau achieved a Master’s in Nursing Science from the University of Arizona, a board certification in Integrative Nurse Coaching from the American Holistic Nurses Credentialing Corporation, and is Senior Faculty with the Integrative Nurse Coach® Academy. She is a Functional Aging Specialist, personal trainer, yoga teacher, and group fitness instructor and a retired Reebok-sponsored Fitness Athlete. When she’s not coaching clients or writing blogs, or hosting the Integrative Nurse Coaches in ACTION! Podcast, you can find her teaching active older adult fitness classes, volunteering with the Alzheimer’s Association, lounging in the sun with her cat babies, or on a hike with her awesome husband.